Thursday, July 5, 2012

Smilodon Vs. Thylacosmilus: The Saber-Toothed Marsupial

Two million years ago, a saber-toothed predator stalked the landscape of South America.  Possessed with long, dagger-like teeth, Thylacosmilus was undoubtedly a terrifying predator of the plains of Patagonia.  This saber-toothed predator would have given even the saber-toothed cats pause, despite the fact that (to paraphrase Obi-Wan Kenobi), "He's more kangaroo now than cat."  Despite superficial similarities, Thylacosmilus was not a saber-toothed cat.  Instead, it was a six foot long, 500 pound saber-toothed marsupial.
A reconstruction of Thylacosmilus by the talented young artist Sam Lippincott.  Interestingly, the super-sized canines of Thylacosmilus grew continually throughout its life, unlike those of Smilodon or Xenosmilus (see below), two of the actual saber-toothed cats.  Photo Credit: Sam Lippincott
The immense canines possessed by Thylacosmilus had previously evolved in both the cat-like Nimravids and the various saber-toothed cats (amongst others), and is a classic example of convergent evolution, a topic, in my opinion, that is one of the most interesting happenstances in nature.  We will hopefully talk about convergent evolution sometime next week.
A mounted skeleton of Xenosmilus, a type of saber-toothed feline, at the Mace Brown Museum of Natural History at the College of Charleston in South Carolina.  I got to visit here in July of 2014, and it was a very nice little museum.  Compare the skull of Xenosmilus with that of Thylacosmilus (below).
Anyways, Thylacosmilus lived during the Miocene and the Pliocene Epochs, from 10-2 MYA.  Up until 2 MYA, South America had been its own, separate land mass, not connected to any other continents since some time during the Cretaceous.  2 MYA, however, something extraordinary happened: the Isthmus of Panama was formed, connecting the two continents.  With this connection, came something scientists have dubbed the "Great American Interchange."  Animals from both continents could move, and spread out into the other continents.  For some creatures, like the saber-toothed cats, this was a good thing; they moved down into South America from North America and dominated the landscape.  For other predators, like the terror-bird Titanis(again, a topic for another time), it was good, for a while; after moving into the southern part of North America, however, Titanis was outcompeted by other predators.  For Thylacosmilus, it was down-right disastrous.  Shortly after the Great American Interchange, fossil evidence of Thylacosmilus entirely disappears, similar to the competition between the dingo and the thylacine that drove the thylacine to extinction on mainland Australia.
The skull of Thylacosmilus on display at the American Museum of Natural History in New York.  Got to see this sucker in person in August 2014, when I visited with my good buddy Zach Evens! 

This is a partial post for the "Convergent Evolution" series.  That means that this post is partially included, but was not made specifically to be a part of that series.  HERE is a link to the Homebase for this series.  

13 comments:

  1. I was depressed when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with Herpes disease… I thought about my Family, I know my Family will face a serious problem when I'm gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was searching the internet I found Dr.ezomo contact number. +2349069171173 I called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr.ezomo herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr.ezomo and very happy with my hubby and family. email him on dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com or you can also reach him through WhatsApp number+2349069171173
    He can also cure so many sickness
    {1}HIV And AIDS
    {2}Diabetes
    {3}Epilepsy
    {4}Blood Cancer
    {5}HPV
    {7}ALS
    {8}Hepatitis

    ReplyDelete


  2. WHAT A MIRACLE...No one could have ever made me believe that the letter I’m writing  would actually one day be written. I was the world’s biggest skeptic. I never believed in magic spells or anything like this, but I was told by a reliable source (a very close co-worker)whom DR BALBOSA have helped in getting back her ex..she also told me that DR BALBOSA is a very dedicated, gifted, and talented person and also like a father to her...My name is Meyers Brown and I am from the USA... My love life was in shambles, I had been through two divorces and was on the brink of a third. I just couldn't face another divorce, and I wanted to try harder to make our relationship work, but my husband didn’t seem to care. and he broke up with me again. I was confused and did not know what to do again, so i got in contact with DR BALBOSA. He did a love spell that made my husband come back to me and this time my husband came back with so much love,It was one of the best things I have ever done i am the happiest woman on earth and I am filled with so much joy and happiness because my marriage is saved. we are now very much happy with ourselves. DR BALBOSA is for REAL and for good. He can also help you to fix your broken relationship. I had my husband back in just 48 hours! It was a miracle. we’re doing very well in our love life...if you have a similar issue don't hesitate to contact him on his
    Email on: balbosasolutionhome@gmail.com _ WhatsApp or call him: +1(206)-485-3691 _ WEBSITE ON: https://balbosasolutionhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEST WAYS TO GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK AND RESTORED YOUR BROKEN MARRIAGE OR RELATIONSHIP FROM SORROW TO HAPPINESS.

    Help me thank Dromokpo@gmail.com for helping me get my ex husband back to me and my family. This great powerful spiritual man restored my sorrow to happiness. My husband left me some years ago for another woman and they both planned to get married. I am so surprised he just came back to me one cool afternoon on Saturday June, begging and crying for me to take him back and to forgive him for breaking up our marriage home and forsaking me and the children. Dr Omokpo is a true spiritualist savior . He brought my husband back”

    if you have any worries or you have any problem in your marriages or relationships you can reach him via: dromokpo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...