Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Biggest Carnivorous Dinosaur Part 2: Carcharodontosaurus Vs. Spinosaurus

As I promised yesterday, today we are going to take a closer look at Carcharodontosaurus (kar-kar-o-DON-to-SAUR-us).  Carcharodontosaurus was a relative of Colorado's own Allosaurus.  However, Carcharodontosaurus was four times larger, and found in Egypt, Morocco, Algeria, Libya, and Niger.  At around 46 feet long, Carcharodontosaurus was similar in size to yesterday's Giganotosaurus (pronounced jig-a-NOTE-o-saur-us), and longer than Tyrannosaurus, though Tyrannosaurus was undoubtedly much bulkier.  Regardless, Carcharodontosaurus was a monster-sized killer, and almost certainly had a monster-sized appetite to match.  It is almost a certainty that such an animal would have a fairly large territory, and would have needed to eat a great deal to maintain its fast metabolism, similar to your average teenage dude.

Clearly, such a large predator had little competition from other carnivorous dinosaurs.  Or did it?  As a matter of fact, 95 MYA, North Africa was home to not one, but two monster-sized killers, Carcharodontosaurus, and the even longer, 50 foot (15 meter) Spinosaurus.  (Some not so conservative estimates even place the maximum size for Spinosaurus as 60 feet (18 meters) in length, but this does seem extreme.)

Now, in the modern day, predators can inhabit the same area.  Take the plains of Africa, for example; in many places, lions, leopards, cheetahs, wild dogs and hyenas all inhabit the same area.  There is a clear hierarchy amongst the animals, and each seems to get enough to eat.  However, this is partly because each animal exploits a slightly different set of resources, so contact amongst them is less frequent than if all five of the large carnivores all hunted the same animal, say, the Thomson's Gazelle.  This is a phenomenon known as resource partitioning, and it occurs all over the place in nature, arguably one of the most important factors involving ecology and evolution. Scientists believe that a similar sort of partitioning took place between the two mega-carnivores of Mid-Cretaceous North Africa, with Carcharodontosaurus being a terrestrial carnivore, while Spinosaurus took to the water.  We will conclude "The Biggest Carnivorous Dinosaur" trilogy tomorrow with a look at the environment Spinosaurus was able to so successfully exploit.
A fantastic visual representation of resource partitioning amongst large herbivorous mammals in Africa.  The giraffe, the zebra, and the wildebeest will all inhabit the same area and eat plants, but the types of plants can differ.  Photo Credit: Ted and Gail Neher

8 comments:

  1. Great article. I liked the humor about teenage boys eating the same amount of meat as Carcharodontosaurus ;). I'm glad you touched upon how the predators lived in the same area too, very interesting. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Want To Appreciate Dr.OYAGU for hs great deeds, I Was Diagnosed With type 2 Herpes Virus Last year,And Was Looking For Solution To Be Cured Luckily I Saw Testimonies On How Dr.OYAGU Cure Herpes Virus I Decided To Contact Dr.OYAGU I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Within 2 weeks, I Am Now Herpes Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have There Same Herpes Virus Please contact Dr OYAGU To Help You Too,And Help Me To Thank Dr.OYAGU For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr. OYAGU Herbal Medicine,His Contact Email:oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

      Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank you

      Delete
  2. I was depressed when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with Herpes disease… I thought about my Family, I know my Family will face a serious problem when I'm gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was searching the internet I found Dr.ezomo contact number. +2349069171173 I called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr.ezomo herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr.ezomo and very happy with my hubby and family. email him on dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com or you can also reach him through WhatsApp number+2349069171173
    He can also cure so many sickness
    {1}HIV And AIDS
    {2}Diabetes
    {3}Epilepsy
    {4}Blood Cancer
    {5}HPV
    {7}ALS
    {8}Hepatitis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Want To Appreciate Dr.OYAGU for hs great deeds, I Was Diagnosed With type 2 Herpes Virus Last year,And Was Looking For Solution To Be Cured Luckily I Saw Testimonies On How Dr.OYAGU Cure Herpes Virus I Decided To Contact Dr.OYAGU I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Within 2 weeks, I Am Now Herpes Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have There Same Herpes Virus Please contact Dr OYAGU To Help You Too,And Help Me To Thank Dr.OYAGU For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr. OYAGU Herbal Medicine,His Contact Email:oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi everyone I'm Mrs Katrina Bennett, My husband divorced me 2 years ago to live with another woman and i have tried have him back but i could not, so i try to do many things to get him back and he refuse to come back. One faithful Friday morning, I visit a forum for tips on how to get your Ex back and there i saw a lady testifying on how Dr.alusi helped her to get her husband back after he was tie down with a spell by another woman. Although I never believed in spiritual work I reluctantly tried him because I was desperate and i contact him and explain my problems to him, to my greatest surprise Dr.alusi helped me to bring back my husband after 5days and now my relationship is more perfect just as he promised. Getting your ex back permanently does not only bring back someone you love but it will also reunite your lovers feelings. My husband now treats me like a Queen and always says he loves me all the time. If you are passing through difficulties in your relationship, Doctor alusi can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and some other things.I can assure he's highly potent and reliable. Email him for urgent help [dr.alusistanley@gmail.com] or +2348146050373.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting rib of Herpes virus wasn't easy, I came across Dr voodoo on how he
    has cured so many people from herpes and other illness so I decided to give
    him a try, now am permanently cured using the natural herbs medication and
    cleansing supplement sent by Dr voodoo no more herpes, contact Dr voodoo
    WhatsApp number +2348140120719 also e-mail him at:
    voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a miracle product,

    I am free from herpes,

    The best herpes remedy online…

    Thank you!! for saving my life,

    His result is 100% guarantee.

    Good for the following

    Shingles,

    Cold sore,

    HPV,

    HSV1&2,

    Fibroid

    Erectile Dysfunction..

    Thanks to.............. Robinsonbuckler11@gmail com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...